24 March 2008

Birdy Bird

Today I woke up realizing that the phrase "two big cups of coffee" is about the sweetest phrase in the English language. It is an utterance made for some bodega in New York City, something you follow up with "light cream and sugar."

Day before yesterday, while Janelle & Eleanor were out for a walk, I strung up my trusty Puerto Rican hammock between two trees. Since we live on 5 acres of wooded land, I drew a little map for The Missus, so she could find me upon her return. It's nice to leave notes for loved ones.

While in my hammock, a tiny little grey-brown bird flitted around me, hopping from branch to branch. He chirped quietly but insistently, & seemed to regard me with an eager curiosity. His ways reminded me of my daughter. "I'm gonna call you Eleanor Part Two," I laughed. But my voice scared him away! Come back oh child of mine!

No comments: