10 January 2008

Making The Switch

I was getting strung out on the expensive shit. And since I am out of work and all, it seemed right to get back to my broke-ass roots. So I stopped going to the fancy health food syndicate for my Fair Trade, free range, organic, pesticide-free Espresso beans. Instead, I'm kickin' it over on aisle 11 at the FOOD LION (Roooawr!), where Bustelo and Eight O'Clock live next door to Chock Full O' Nuts and Maxwell House.

It took me about a week and a half for my taste buds to acclimate to the wonderful savings (about one quarter the cost, in case you're counting). And I still gotta use massive amounts of milk, sugar, and cardamom. But, I tell you, in all honesty...it's not a bad brew.

It's good to roll like this, to burn off the excess and get humble again. Not because humbleness is righteous, but because, like all good heroin addicts know, you gotta get clean from time to time if you still want that high. The next time I get to drink the expensive shit, it's gonna be a tidal wave of orgasmic flavor. Until that glorious day, though, I will drink inorganic, chock full o' pesticides, un-Fair Trade Eight O'Clock coffee. And I will try to like it, dammit.

1 comment:

paul said...

some day we will once again tomar 'casa pueblo.' or por lo menos, 'bustelo,' but this time it will be done beneath a flamboyant.