07 November 2007

Television Baby


So I'm a t.v. baby, and now I have this blog. I've had blogs before. 2 to be exact. The first one died of old age way back in the late '90's. (Back then they called them "web pages.") The second had a good run, until I grew tired and weary of my constant efforts to remain non-solipsistic yet personal, but also relevant, but also...you get the idea. It was getting in the way of my "more serious writing" as well. This blog will probably end up the same way. (At some time or another, I let everything get in the way of my "more serious writing.") Let's dance this ephemeral dance, then. I'll publish some photos and tell you what I think about things in general. Maybe you'll find it relevant. Maybe it will even "resonate."

You're probably wondering about the name "drdesireesphilologicalfotomat." I didn't really want to be so cryptic and long-winded, but blogger.com, who hosts this blog, asked me to choose a name for it and caught me off guard. I entered approximately 10 names, and each was rejected before i realized that I had to come up with some off-the-wall shit to get a name. Drdesireesphilologicalfotomat was the result. I really regret choosing that name now, especially if I have to type that shit in every time I log on, which I probably will. Anyway, I guess that makes me "Dr. Desiree," which is about the sickest name I've ever heard. I also go by Jonathan. If you're a friend, you know that already. If you're a stranger, then welcome...I have no idea how you arrived here.

As for philology ("the branch of knowledge that deals with the structure, historical development, and relationships of a language or languages"), well, I plan to avoid that subject as much as possible. I know very little about it. In fact, I picked the word out of my own mental stew, and probably came up with it because Chet Baker recorded on the Philology label, amongst others. Of Chet Baker, I am a fan. I suppose I'm somewhat of a fan of philology as well. I've been described by my friends as "a semantic motherfucker" and by my wife as a "grammar hawk." But fan and expert are not the same. And despite the fact that I'm no expert on Chet Baker, I'm currently writing a short story about him. And 2 kids. And head lice. And a psychotic uncle. And a factory. And interspecies miscegeny. And the railroad. My hope is that this short story will catapult me and my family into a writing program somewhere far away from this dead end town.
In closing, here's Chet Baker & Stan Getz doing one of Baker's classics:

No comments: