23 November 2007

The 12" Skillet


Yesterday, while I was navigating the maze of Wal*Mart, I happened upon a 12" cast iron skillet. "My gawd," I said, "that mother's only $10.99!" It was pre-seasoned and - best part: It was made somewhere within the contiguous United States of America! "Hot dawg! What a rarity!"

Even though it felt somewhat icky to buy a brand new cast iron skillet at Wal*Mart on Thanksgiving, it also felt like an exceedingly patriotic thing to do. I took it right home and made breakfast in it. Bacon, eggs, texas toast, & grits. And moments ago, Stella licked that bad boy clean after Breakfast #2 in what I hope will be a decades-long extended series of breakfasts, dinners, & suppers. That's what's so wicked about cast iron: You keep it for life. FOR LIFE, I tell you!

No comments: