25 August 2008

Jean Paul

This is me marking the minutes of my two back-to-back morning classes. Yup. Today was the first day of school. Take one down. Pass it around. Fourteen weeks and four days left in the semester...It's been a very groovy summer, but now, suddenly, I'm a teacher. To paraphrase Martin Lawrence in Bad Boys II, "shit just got real."

Yesterday we went to a "beginning of the school year" bar-b-q for the Iowa Writer's Workshop. It was very cool and casual. Eleanor mostly wanted to defect from the whole shindiggery of it all and parlay with total strangers in the park the bar-b-q was held at. That's kind of her scene. At one point, a strange kid wearing a vintage Southern Rebel hat - he called himself "Jean Paul" - showed up, circling the periphery of the bar-b-q and walking a rabbit on a leash. Eleanor ran over and hugged/attacked the rabbit while Jean Paul spoke nonstop about his desire to one day be a workshop writer. "I'm working on a documentary now. Also I write new journalism, which brings in some cash. I was in the ARMY, too. See my salt n' pepper hair? It's been this way since I was six." Weird kid. All of twenty, maybe, walking this pet rabbit, saying these weird things. "Gotta go, Jean-Paul."

No comments: