09 June 2008

G.J.W.H.F.

In "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun," (which I just listened to as part of a early morning 'getting up early can be fun, not necessarily horrible' dance mix with Eleanor) Cyndi Lauper says "Oh Daddy Dear, you know you're still number one...but girls- they wanna have fun." I hope, later in life, Eleanor never has to say anything like that to me. That would SUCK. She probably will, though. 'Cause I'll be a psychotically overprotective father. She'll have to break it down for me at some point and be like, "I love you, Dad. But I gotta have some freedom." And that's when I'll be like, "I know. I know. Cyndi Lauper prophesied this moment a long time ago."

Often, I wonder what kinds of things Eleanor will say when she learns to talk. I wonder if she'll have a Southern accent. I wonder if she'll like Roald Dahl...Will she be afflicted with her Pa's echolalia and obsession with letters and words? Will she lie about what books she's reading? Will she make zines and comics? Will she debate everything? Loathe Huck Finn? Wanna invent a new poetic form? Be an R & B singer? Deconstruct it all with a modern feminine twist? Crawl across this language like a bobcat? Probably. If not, well...that's okay too.

No comments: