20 June 2008

For The Little Ones


This is (1)the local theater and (2)a shot of Eleanor rocking out to Lucinda Williams on Ye Olde hi-fi. Boo-yah!!

Today I had lunch with 3 second-year fiction writers from the Iowa Writer’s Workshop. They were all thirtysomething, married, very cool, and very serious about writing. Not serious as in grave or lacking a sense of humor, but serious as in “this is how I want to spend my time.” We sat and ate barbecue sandwiches and talked for about three hours or more and it slowly became more and more apparent to me that I have once again landed at the right place at the right time- and for that I am grateful.

One of the writers is working on his 2nd or 3rd novel – something he called “a high-seas adventure set in the 1800’s,” and as he did, his eyes twinkled. The others said they were working on novels as well. “We’ll all be at the Foxhead this Tuesday night. Can you come out?” Heck yeah I can.

Iowa City folks tend to be kindhearted. And some people are just basically righteous. Case in point: Just a few minutes ago, I dashed out to the CVS to try and buy a little radial fan to help cool our tiny apartment. (The heat is hot here, and it keeps the little one awake.) Sadly, the CVS was closed. So as I exited the parking deck, I asked the attendant if he knew of a place to buy a fan and he said – and I’m not making this up – “It’s for your little one, isn’t it?” And I furrowed my brow and smiled “Yeah.” And then he unplugged his fan from his very own parking attendant cubicle and handed it to me, refusing payment: “Just do something nice for somebody else and we’re even.” Folks, it’s a hot and muggy evening in Iowa City tonight. And so I know that right know there’s a guy named Harold (I asked him his name and said, “Cool, Harold. My daughter Eleanor says ‘thanks!’”)watching over an emptying lot on the West end of downtown, with beads of sweat on his brow. He’s happy as a clam, though. ‘Cause he’s lookin’ out for the Little Ones…

No comments: