05 December 2007

The Idea of Purity Can Be A Dangerous One


About a year ago I made a movie about a girl and an imaginary ziggurat that haunted her dreams. As art director as well as prop master and filmmaker, I handmade the ziggurat myself, out of cardboard boxes and plaster. I even painted the whole thing white. Time passed, and after the movie was completely shot, I for some reason kept the ziggurat around the house here. Because you just can't casually get rid of somethig like that, it mostly just sat around, looking weird and Sumerian.

One day this summer, while waiting for Ella to be born, I blew off a little steam by attacking the ziggurat. I kicked, stomped, and tackled it until it was rubble. Interestingly, the crowning tier of the ziggurat sprang off almost immediately and broke into a perfect rectangle with a 2”x2” inset square center – apropos for adding a tiny piece of micro art!

I made a tiny mural out of an Arm & Hammer baking soda box from our kitchen. I then glued the mural to the plaster. I also added some paint here and there. A few touch-ups. The photo above displays the end result. Like its ziggurat predecessor the mural, too, has sat around the house awhile now. I’ve been meaning to give it to Andrea, the woman who played the girl in the movie. She was very hardworking, patient, and professional. She deserves some art. Then again, it looks a little severe and gruesome. Probably not the kind of art I’d wanna give away as a gift.

I like how this was once part of the cardboard ziggurat. In fact, it was the crowning piece. Now, it’s a strange, vivid little mural. I don’t really know what should be done with it. Every time I look at it, it reminds me of the movie I made. Know what the movie was about? The Unconscious. Sort of an instructional, really, except with a magical ending. That was my movie. That’s where this art came from…and it’s basically a mandala. Or something like that.

No comments: