15 December 2007

Family Photo

It's raining all day long. It is now 8 p.m. and, still, the rains continue to pound the earth. I applied to the University of Massachusetts Creative Writing program today, and then I rolled around on the floor with my daughter. We hiked awhile, and then the sun set. I just went out for Indian takeout and saw a large truck nose-down in a ditch. A man on a cellphone stood by the side of the road, wearing a raincoat. He was getting pelted by the freezing rain.

In our house we are warm and dry, and that is something I am thankful for. Out there, in the droughtlands of Georgia, the trees, animals, and reservoirs are all benefitting from this natural extravagance. I am thankful for that, too. It occurs to me that Lao Tzu was right about pretty much everything. Balance is essential. And the rains sure do sound nice.

This photo was taken a few days ago. It's our family photo. It's obvious in this photo that we're just a bunch of sock monkeys in a needle and thread world.

1 comment:

Ryan said...

that's just about the sweetest image i've ever seen. we're all sockpuppets of god. this was summed up nicely by two six-year-olds (overheard by Wendy). The first one said plaintively to his friend, "we're all one." and she replied, "Oh yeah, then how come we're wearing different shoes?"
whoaaa.