01 July 2010

Slow Poetry

"Slow poetry" is a thing that has happened. Also, what's up with this pattern: (1) I discover awesome album (think It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back, Nashville Skyline, Ten New Songs, etc.); (2) I put album on regular rotation for a few obsessive months; & (3) at some point within said temporal parameters I cease to appreciate the beauty and nuance of said awesome album because of all the wellworn neural pathways in my brain created by some kind of biochemical god that gets off on novelty but seems to punish indulgence. But know what? There are mysterious exceptions to this pattern. I give you Astral Weeks and Rain Dogs. (And right now I'm listening to Rain Dogs and the summer cicadas are in perfect harmony and our family vacation is in a few more days...so, you know, all is well.)

No comments: