17 July 2008

What Would Horatio Alger Do?


I tend to not be starstruck. Like, in general. And so yesterday, when I saw the Famous Author coming out of the grocery store with her significant other, I did not have the urge to snap a photo, rush over, and introduce myself as "a huge fan." Famous Authors do life the same way the rest of us do: with as much dignity and courage possible in the moment at hand. And yet...they do spin wheat into gold, don't they? And so, from that point of view, HAWT DAMN. It was cool to see the Famous Author, clutching her groceries, pushing a cart, and squaring off with the hot afternoon sun.

I registered for classes yesterday, and some of the classes I'm taking are taught by Famous Authors. This is a surreal fact...yet not. And so. To sum up: My "new life" in Iowa City is nowhere near as surreal as it was ten years ago (not that surrealism is what I want from consensual reality). Yet, it continues to rise to the bar set by my recent experiences...which is to say that it's as weird here as it is anywhere else in the End Times. Cats and Dogs sleeping together. Clouds raining down ball peen hammers. Famous Authors purchasing tofurkey cakes in the middle of cornfield America, swiping their debit cards just like anyone else.

1 comment:

prailey said...

So who is this famous author you ran into in the grocery? And, who are your famous teachers? Inquiring minds want to know!!