11 October 2011

Freak Wharf, pt. 10

But look - a stranger wrapped tight in a blue, blue dress. She's the blue-eyed girl straight from the realm of archetypes. She's got a toasty, archetypal bun in the oven, too.

“What’ll you have this afternoon, darling?”
"Do you sell water?"
"Sure."

I hand her a bottle from the ice chest and she starts to reach into her purse. As she does, I notice a family of gulls pecking at a hamburger mashed flat into the grain of the boardwalk.

"Keep it. This one's gratis from Cap'n Ellie."

All smiles, she thanks me, then turns to leave. As she goes, providence allows me to catch a glimpse of what I can only describe as the Ave Maria of asses - full of grace and mystic symmetry. The type to engorge the coldest of hearts with joy and hope. Good feelings, those.

Just like that, the world offers a million strangenesses. And soon, the Wonder Wheel will light up. And I'll lock down the Torpedo and start hoofing it home.

No comments: