30 August 2010

Where It's At



These are Better Boy tomatoes, not to be confused with my prized, unmodified Heirlooms. I give these away to my nosy next door neighbor and she thinks she's getting the good ish...Anyway, my grandfather grew Better Boys - they were was his signature breed. (He also fertilized with 10-10-10 and dusted his tomato plants with pesticides - practices I didn't even notice or care about, much less oppose, until I was in my mid-twenties.) And I took after him mostly, rocking the Better Boys up until last year when I swung out and tried my hand at growing Heirloom Brandywines. People, I will never. Again. Return to Better Boys - unless somebody gives them to me for free (like these plants were given to me). Heirlooms B-wines are where it's at. The ample, sultry matriarchs of the tomato kingdom! The End.

No comments: