11 June 2010

Pidgin

I have a thing for pidgin. Creole. How tongues can blend. I have a thing for how cultures merge - which means conquer, submission, linguistic feats of assimilation and survival. I have a thing for slang. I have a thing for how dissent springs up in reaction to orthodoxy, and how the orthodoxy responds. The world is a complicated place. Words are a complicated place, too. I have a thing for graffiti, for the subjective voice, for "folk" customs. I'm into the creative force, lineage. Action, reaction, improvisation. Dialogue. I have a thing for ghost stories, fairy tales, and free jazz. The beat. Somewhere in the aching woods nearby there's a ring of stones just waiting for a spark and some souls to complete it. Sun is setting. I will meet you there. Bring your fire, cousin. I'll bring mine.

No comments: