25 June 2010

Farewell, SuperTrashCan



This is a tin commemorative Superman wastebasket I've had since I was a little boy (age six, approximately). On one side we have the image of Clark Kent as a little boy (age six, approximately), lifting a truck up off the ground and saving the life of his father just as the jack supporting the truck collapses (this is a salient moment in the film, as it marks the first time young Clark Kent's superpowers are witnessed by earthlings). On the other side appears the iconic image of a full-grown Superman, powering through the ionosphere above Metropolis. Little man's all grown up and ready to flex.. Inside the trashcan is a big "S" emblem - the same one emblazoned on Supe's, uh, unitard.

I fell in love with this trashcan the first time I saw it, and I remember begging my parents to buy it for me. That was thirty years ago. Recently, Janelle deemed it "too stinky" to continue using, and I agreed...so it's off to the charnel grounds, Superman. Thank you for thirty years of loyal service. (As you read this, I am placing my SuperTrashCan within a larger trashcan and wheeling it out to the curbside as "Taps" plays on the hi-fi.)

No comments: