11 February 2008

So It Goes

This is my sister. I've given her a bindi/mystical third eye here to represent the many insights and experiences she has accumulated that I never will. In me and my sister, you couldn't ask for two more different human beings - personally, politically, spiritually...you name it.

It's an important philosophical inquiry, at some point, to explore whether or not you can tolerate other people being different from you. It sounds pat, but I assure you that it's a bigger conundrum than any Golden Rule or morality play would have you believe. Carl Jung said that, in this nuclear age, if each of us does not work on tolerating differences and reclaiming his/her projections, the world is indeed headed for thermonuclear disaster.

The thing about my sister & me is that if you take a look at what each of us is all about - our high points and low points, our best attributes and our personal demons - and then add it all together...you'd get our parents (in all their paradoxical glory). It's for that reason that I don't really buy the "me and my sister are polar opposites" theory. We're just different sides of the same coin. We are complimentary, in other words. And besides, we each host our own internal Avalons. We each have our own crosses and psychological freight to bear.

Can one side of a coin tolerate the other? Can it love the other side? These are the questions of our nuclear age.

No comments: