06 February 2011

Ghosts, Weed

Last night I watched Poltergeist, a movie that messed. me. up. when I was a kid. Know what I didn't realize at the time? It's a morality tale about greed and ruination and helpin yer fellow man. Minus all the special effects, the basic story is that an ex-hippie real estate agent gets straight served by the astral realm (it's some "Scarface"-type shit, too - ghastly spirits actually abduct his daughter and hold her hostage). But more than anything, this movie really made me wonder - how come cinematic pot-smoking was so popular in the '80's? I mean, it seems like every "PG-13" and "R" rated movie from back then has at least one scene where somebody casually lights up a j. In Poltergeist, it happens early on, when Carol Anne's mom and dad are just hanging out in their room alone, after all the kiddies have been tucked in. The mom, "Diane," blazes through two joints while her dad (the incomparable Craig T. Nelson) does isometrics.

No comments: