07 November 2010

Shoe Mandala




I asked my mother could I have an instrument. She said, 'Well if you go out and save your money.' So I went and got - I made me a shine box. I went out and started shining shoes, and I'd bring whatever I made.
-Ornette Coleman (god of free jazz, 1930- )

A man cannot make a pair of shoes rightly unless he do it in a devout manner.
-Thomas Carlyle, Scottish wordsmith (1785-1881)

The cobbler's children run shoeless.
- traditional English saying

Sometimes I don't even pull my shoes off for six weeks at a time, except, you know, just to take a shower. I just take breaks between 24 hours a day, just a break now and then, it don't take me long to rest; maybe 20 to30 minutes sometime, or maybe an hour.
- Howard Finster (visual artist)

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere.
- John Coltrane (saint)

No comments: