15 April 2010

April Is The Most Psychodynamic Month

Today it was my Thursday class (the "good class") that wasn't prepared to discuss the reading for the day (S. Elkin's "A Poetics For Bullies"). And this time around it was even easier than the last time. I didn't even feel much anger about it. I just sort of improvised a mini-lecture on craft and told some jokes and dropped the f-bomb a few times (which they like)...the valence shifted from apathetic torpor to involvement/engagement. And so, my experience leads me to question the value of homework and assigned reading - not that it isn't valuable, but that it isn't the only way to run a class (duh, right? But I'm figuring this shit out as I go along). I know that sounds a little flaky, but improvisation is a much more energizing & lively event than "reading and discussion." And if these guys were my therapy clients - which they aren't - I'd say it's good modeling for them as well.

No comments: