05 August 2009

My Brief Foray Into Courier

On my flight back from California, I sat next to an art 
historian. We talked about an hour or so before I pull-
ed out one of the Gordon Onslow Ford postcards that Ryan
had given me and said, "What do you see here?" "Well,"
he said, "I see Spanish surrealism, for sure...and, uh,
contemporary Australian dot painting...and, um...yeah...
it's interesting." I never know what people mean when
they call something "interesting," but I have to agree
with him - it is, unlike a lot of art, pretty damn
interesting.

Ford constructed an esoteric art philosophy called Inner
Realism, which held that painting, if done the right way,
could be a doorway to other planes of consciousness, all
the way down to the "Inner Worlds of the Mind Shared By
All." In his artist's statement he explains that "we
travel over vast distances, at great speeds" to these
inner worlds every night as we dream and thereby "become
recharged with cosmic energy for the next day." He goes
on to explain that "On waking up, our experiences of
deeper dimensions are too fast, too vast or too minute
for human memory, with its limited range of awareness,
to recall."

I like these ideas. I mean, they're crazy. And I like
'em. I'll tell you what I see, though: Thumbprints
hexing hammerheads, poxed in bundle/s of rod material,
quiver, hole in a man, breathe, tap tap eucalyptos-
concen- what did you- in ventricle of the sauropod, oh,
emptied out eyes, it supposes, the sand world- eclosing,
all busy with its bowl of hearts- and fastidious! the
production, microfilaments of the solar lookaround, trying
with your golden meat of the empathy collect. dynamite
in the desert and now an animal draws its shape from
sunset boxes, eddies of the juju pentecost...


No comments: