10 June 2009

Open Road

Two days ago, we returned to Iowa City after an eighteen day vacation (or "odyssey," as my man Paul has said, more accurately). During that eighteen days, Janelle, Eleanor & I visited friends and family in three different states - Illinois, Florida, & Georgia. We rambled. We scrambled. We rented a compact car and pushed its compact limits. Now we're back in the corn and it feels like my eyes have been removed from their sockets, scrubbed clean, and screwed back in. Nonetheless, Iowa is still Iowa. It's a yellow, windblown, drone. A bee minus a stinger. A tidy square of topsoil, submitted for Saturn's approval. And since Saturn's silent, I'll take the opportunity to post a series of vacation blogs & photos, beginning with this one - a view of the open road that runs right out front of my grandmother's house in Shiloh, Ga.

No comments: