25 March 2009

Schoolin' Em

I'm listening a Rodney Crowell version of "Bluebird Wine" (off the Heartworn Highways Townes Van Zandt documentary) right now and digging it.

And It's all right
I've just hit my stride
Right off the bat
Lord, I'm drunk on Bluebird Wine

Baby taught me a diff'rent way of thinkin'
Like how to spend my evenings here at home
List'ning to the music on the radio
Drinking all the Bluebird we can hold

Janelle's giving the nipper a bath & they're both laughing. Outside, Iowa City is quiet as can be...

Today I gave my students mid-semester evaluations. Told 'em to judge me harshly, anonymously, but, if at all possible, to try & be constructive. To my surprise, every last one was positive. This caught me off guard. They nearly all agreed that I'm "brutal" (as one student put it) when it comes to grading papers (which makes me smile). But not one said "I hope you get in a horrible car accident" or "this class sucks and bear no relevance at all for me." It was more like "I actually like coming to this class, unlike my other classes" and "I like the way you let us talk and give input" and "I like your laid-back style."

Really, I'm surprised. Especially after a week or so of totally phoning my class in, showing up uninspired, brokenhearted, and not really giving a f--- about being a reputable educator. I must be doing something unconsciously. And it must be speaking to these guys. Hot damn! Jon-dog is pleased...

1 comment:

Hope Cymerman said...

J-dog...you wear it well!
I'm glad your students recognize the gifts that you offer.